Cuttin' Wheat

Cuttin' Wheat

May 8, 2010

Hay, Fire Trucks, and Holes!

I had originally planned to show you pictures of our fields after the hay had been bailed, but unfortunately that's not gonna happen.

On Friday, after I got off work, LB and I were supposed to haul the hay out of the field so that we could get it plowed as soon as it rains.  Which, keep your fingers crossed, is in the forecast for Monday.  But, I got a phone call from LB telling me that I needed to grab my camera and come down to the fire station as quick as I could get there. 

So, I grab Moose and the camera and head for the fire station.  Much to my surprise, when I get there, LB has somehow convinced the fire chief that they need to go for a drive in their 1936 Fire truck!  This fire truck was so cool, it had the original seat, tires, ladders, hoses, fire extinguisher, paint and pretty much everything else it came with.  It had never been taken out of commission, but was kept stored so that they could use it in parades and other special events. 

I'll have to post those photos on here sometime next week.

The guys even hooked it up to a fire hydrant and pumped water through it!  Who knows how long it's been since that truck has had water through it.

Well, since LB was playing down at the fire station, we didn't get to the field to move the hay until late.  I had planned to take pictures of the bailed hay for you guys.  So, when we get to the field, I jump out of the pick up to get in position to take some pics before the sun gets to low.  LB goes ahead and starts moving the hay, and I take off in a nice jog across the field.

Now, before I go on, I just want to let you know that I am a graceful person, I have just never learned how to use it.  So you should never be suprised at what kinds of messes I get myself into.

All of a sudden, I step in a hole.  Fortunately, I don't fall all the way down, but it definitely didn't feel good.  If someone had of had a video camera, they probably could have won a million dollars. 

 So, then, I was mad.  Mad because I should have known better than to run across a wheat field in flip flops.  Especially a dry wheat field where the ground is cracked and holey!

Needless to say I didn't get any pictures.  By the time I had recovered from my fall it was to dark to get any good pictures so I got back in the pick up with LB and we hauled the rest of the hay.

The End

P.S. This probably won't be the last post with a story about me falling down.  Just to fore warn you.

No comments:

Post a Comment