Cuttin' Wheat

Cuttin' Wheat

May 26, 2010

Unexpected Change In Plans

Well, I had a really cool post planned for tonight, but my plans got changed due to an unexpected event.  It was just another example of how rough farm life can really be.

LB and I like riding horses.   We both grew up with horses so we aren't gringos. 

We bought a new horse in November.  She is a beautiful, red dun.  We call her Red. 

We decided, since it was such a beautiful afternoon, that we were going to go for a ride.

So, LB was on Red, and she decided to go in a speed faster than a walk.  LB did not want her to go faster than a walk.  He plants his feet in the stirrups and pulls up on the reins; and before he could get her slowed down, the cinch broke!

Now, for those of you who are familiar with riding horses, know that a cinch breaking is never good news.  For those of you who are not familiar with riding horses, just know that the cinch is what holds the saddle on the horse.  The cinch breaking is never good news. 

The saddle goes to the right, the horse goes to the left, and LB goes to the ground. 

I was on the other side of the arena when this happened.  So, I run to him to make sure he's fine.  He wasn't.  The first thing he says to me is:  "I think I broke my hip and some ribs".

My first thought is:  "Great, Just what we need."  Then I think:  "We are 20 Minutes from the hospital and it's just him and I out here."  I have no help. 

Well, my husband is 6 foot 3 inches tall.   Not an easy person to get off the ground by yourself.  But, I get it done and I get him in the pick up.  I also have to get the horse untangled from the saddle and all the proper gates closed.  Then we're off to the emergency room.

After an hour and a half at the hospital.  And no broke bones.  I get one black and blue swelled up person back home. 

We were lucky.  He didn't have anything broken, but his side and hip is swelled to probably twice it's size.  And his bruises are beginning to show.  He also got several grass burns/scratches on his face and arm.  I'm glad that's all that happened.

Counting my Blessings
Amy


1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness I am so glad he is ok. Bet that was scary. Gee Landon we can't have you getting hurt. Take care and feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete