Cuttin' Wheat

Cuttin' Wheat

May 10, 2010

Tornadoes!

I hate Tornadoes!

I know that hate is a strong word, but it's true.  I get sweaty, my heart races, and I become very anxious anytime there is a tornado anywhere in my state.

Unfortunately today there were tornadoes here in Oklahoma.  We here in Wheat country are praying for rain, but not bad weather.  Our wheat needs a drink, but if we were to get a tornado or hail, it could wipe out our crop.  We were fortunate enough that the tornadoes  missed Western Oklahoma.  BUT, the rest of Oklahoma was not as lucky as us.  I think after watching the news we all need to say a prayer for those families who lost their homes, or maybe even a loved one.  Tornadoes can be very devastating and scary.

I am very very very terrified of tornadoes.  We didn't have any stormy weather here, at my house.  We didn't even have any rain.  We did have some STRONG winds.  Winds that were reaching 60 MPH!  But that was it.  No devastation.  No scare, and I still became very anxious.

When I got home from work, I turned on the TV so that I could see what was going on.  That's when it all started.  My heart races.  I get worried.  I can't take my eyes off the TV.  I keep checking to make sure that the tornadoes are NOT anywhere near my house.  I also check the counties where my family is and give them calls to make sure they are paying attention to the weather.  I become filled with anxiety.  I can even worry myself into an upset stomach during times like this.  LB finally told me to turn off the TV so that I'd feel better.  So I did and all my anxiety went away.

I have decided that I have an unexplained obsession with making sure I know what is going on when there is bad weather.  I become all consumed with it.  I can't even think or do anything else.  I don't know why bad weather bothers me so much.  I haven't been through anything traumatizing.  So who knows what's wrong with me!  Is there such thing as a  bad weather phobia?  Because if there is, I think I have it!

Well, We are all safe and well.  Let's not forget the ones less fortunate.
Amy

1 comment:

  1. I was always afraid of storms and never knew why either. I have ran blocks caring Yavonn looking for a cellar. I was sure I had tramatized her but none of my kids are afraid of storms.

    ReplyDelete